Tuesday, October 19, 2010

John to appeal against jail term

John Abraham, who has been sentenced to 15 days in jail in a rash and negligent driving case registered in 2006, Friday said he would appeal against the verdict.

"To begin with, I'm a law abiding citizen and I will be appealing this verdict and will go to every length to have this verdict appealed. I'm advised that I have a good chance of succeeding this appeal," John, who is currently out on bail, said.

"I am also clarifying with this statement only because I am a public figure and in all modesty I do have a large youth interaction, who look to me for guidance and leadership and inspiration and I don't want them to feel or take away that when wronged, we do not fight for what is right," John said, reading from his statement.

"I also want to categorically state that I have the highest regard for the judicial system of our great country and this is more of a personal clarification I felt compelled to make due to the public life that I also lead than commenting in any way to the judicial view," he added.

John was sentenced to 15 days jail by a city court on October 14. He was charged under sections 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way) and 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the Indian Penal Code. He immediately applied for bail and deposited a fine of Rs.1,500.

The accident took place April 8, 2006 when the actor banged his 1100 CC Yamaha Hayabusa motorbike into a cycle, injuring two people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin