Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Who had a 'candlelight' meeting with Sridevi?

And this director is disappointed that she's become a housewife

Ram Gopal Varma says he's a huge fan of yesteryears actress Sridevi, describing her as a "goddess of beauty", vividly recalling a "candlelight" meeting with her and noting that he wrote his Telugu film 'Kshana Kshanam' as an intended love letter to her.

"Sridevi is the most beautiful and the most sexiest woman god (has) ever created. I think He creates such exquisite pieces of art like her only once in a million years," Varma posted on his blog rgvzoomin.com.

The veteran filmmaker has posted a long message on his blog talking about Sridevi. He has written that in his college days in Vijaywada (in Andhra Pradesh), "I used to stand in the line waiting to buy a ticket for the new Sridevi movie and I used to keep staring in awe at her on the hoardings in the theatre compound."

"Her beauty and her sex appeal were so strong that it took many many films and many many years for both us audience and the film industry to realise and recognise the actress in her which was first showcased according to me in the most effective way in 'Mr. India' by Shekhar Kapur...'Mr. India' made the audience discover a new Sridevi primarily because of the way how Shekar Kapur's aesthetics captured both her extraordinary beauty and her incredible performance."

Varma says in Chennai, he used to stand in front of Sridevi's house to catch a glimpse of his favourite actress. Finally, after the success of his debut film 'Shiva', he got a chance to meet the woman he used to worship.

"At around 7.30 in the night we went and as luck would have it there was a power cut in her house. So I was sitting in her living room in candlelight along with Gopal Reddy waiting for the angel to appear and my heart was thumping like mad. Her mother told us she was busy packing as she was about to catch a flight to go to Mumbai.

"Finally, she came and sat in the living room, just said a mandatory few lines... I went back to my place feeling like I was in the seventh heaven.

"The way Sridevi sat in front of me in the candlelight got imprinted in my mind like an exquisite painting and with her image completely filling both my mind and my heart I started writing 'Kshana Kshanam'. I wrote 'Kshana Kshanam' with the one and only purpose so as to impress Sridevi. It was was intended by me as a love letter to her."

Varma was disappointed when Boney Kapoor married Sridevi and brought her "straight from her super stardom and magazine covers to being just an ordinary housewife".

"I don't go to Boney's house these days because I can't bear to see Sridevi in a realistic house, in a realistic atmosphere and with realistic people around. For me, she is like a highly precious diamond which should be seen only in beautiful settings or in exotic locations and only in the surroundings of cinematic brilliance," he wrote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin