Friday, April 3, 2009

Lara Dutta: I love being me!

The lovely Lara Dutta graces the cover of Complete Wellbeing, as part of their Be Yourself special issue this month. The former Miss Universe encourages individuality and shares insights on how to be your true self and love yourself. An excerpt from the interview.



Tell us something about Lara, the person.
For starters, I love being me. I take good care of myself because I think it is a big part of being yourself. Also, I think the older one gets the more one needs to care for oneself. I don't smoke or drink [I never have]. I am a pure vegetarian and believe in a holistic approach to good health. I avoid taking allopathic drugs unless I absolutely have to. I propagate and practise homoeopathy and ayurveda. I lead a healthy life and enjoy my work.

How do you manage to keep the real Lara separate from the character you are playing? Has your role ever required going against what you really are?
It is very important to have your very own identity irrespective of the profession you are in. As an actor, I have played many characters through which I have learnt new qualities from each of them. I don't believe in bringing my work home but at times we play characters which require us to acquire skills or qualities that we don't have. These new qualities then end up becoming a part of you and you tend to adapt to them.

For instance, my role in my next film Blue required me to dive and I was hydrophobic! But this role had caught my pulse and I wanted to be a part of this film. I just wanted to overcome my fear and hence took up this challenge. First, I learnt swimming, then scuba diving. Now, here I am loving water so much that I have become a certified diver! Today, diving means experiencing a whole breathtaking and unimaginable new world many meters below.
How do you manage your psychological wellbeing?

I think my ambitious trait drives me to be the way I am. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to multi-task. I like expansion-it's a very fulfilling process for me, that's why I learn, observe and keep my mind in control. I break my comfort zone readily for new avenues and embrace all experiences good, happy, ugly fulfilling-may be that is why I stay happy and a happy mind is all you need for psychological wellbeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin