Sunday, March 30, 2008

For Devdas, I’ll have to do a Duggu

Lara Dutta on life as a singleton and ‘digging deep’ into herself to play Paro

How does life look to you?
I’m single, happy…I love my life.

How single are you?
I’m completely, blissfully single. Every hero I work with, I’m linked with. They’ve also been trying to link me with some Italian businessman. They found some half-baked picture on the internet. Rubbish! There’s no Italian or Indian boyfriend. I’m very happy to be alone.

Is it embarrassing to be linked with married men?
No! Not when they treat you like a chum. I never let it affect me. I do enjoy the company of men. And I’m not going to get inhibited at the thought of being linked with one of them the next morning.

How’s your equation with Kelly Dorji?
Wonderful. We’ve spent so many good years together. No one can take away those from us. Kelly and I know each other too well to drift apart. There’s a lot of mutual respect. And that will always remain.
It’s very natural for the hurt to remain between a couple when a relationship as intense as ours ends. For a while, it was natural for both of us to withdraw. But that doesn’t stop us from looking out for each other. A relationship as long-lasting as ours goes way beyond a romantic notion.

Are you looking out for another relationship?
No, I’m not. There’s no one whom I’m even remotely interested in. And I’m in no hurry. After nine years, I’m alone. And I’m enjoying it. Right now, I’m so crazy busy. I’m running around like a headless chicken.
I’ve just been trying to keep sane (laughs). I’ve been training vigorously for a film that I’m doing with Akshay and Sanju. I’m finally doing an action film. Akshay has asked me to be part of this film. This is a super-actioner. It’s called Blue because the producers wanted to keep it simple.

Bhagam Bhag also had Govinda in it.
Yes and I did Partner with him, though I wasn’t paired with him. Now we’re together in Ravi Chopra’s Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai. This is one of those rare films where the girl actually has something substantial to do. I’m actually there with Govinda throughout the film. It’s a completely different role, an authorised adaptation of My Cousin Vinny. And I play Marisa Tomei’s role. But I’ve got a lot more to do than Marisa Tomei had.

Tomei got an Oscar for her performance.
I’m getting there. It may happen one day.

Good things are happening to you now.
I guess everything happens in its own time. Now I’m a little more worldly wise. I don’t want to do films where I’m just a glam girl.

So are you trying to scale down your glamour quotient?
Sometimes it’s nice to go on the other side. I want to do films that give me a chance to grow. Like Sudhir Mishra’s Devdas which is a drama; again, unlike anything I’ve done before.

You play Paro in Sudhir’s film. He has finally got his Chandramukhi.
Yes! I’m so happy Chitrangada is playing Chandramukhi. Sudhir Mishra’s Devdas isn’t really a period film. It’s very literate and layered. I’d have to dig really deep into myself to play Paro. So far, I didn’t have to cross over to a darker side. Paro is a dark, ambitious, self-destructive character. I’m not that person at all. I’m going to have to do a Duggu (Hrithik Roshan) on everyday.

Are you in a good place?
Yes, I’ve learnt to focus on my own work. Your greatest competition should be yourself. The minute you look anxiously at others, you’re finished. I’m a mazdoor in a factory. I keep my nose to the grind.

Subash K. Jha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin