Saturday, November 4, 2006

Tabu tours her inner world

On her birthday, the taciturn Tabu gets talking about rewards and relationships.

Hers is a face that mirrors life’s myriad moods. A prodigious cusp between the popular and parallel, brand Tabu adds deference to every project she embraces. While Mira Nair’s ‘Namesake’ has trotted to festivals, ‘Cheeni Kum’ with Amitabh Bachchan promises uncharted romance. On her birthday, the reticent Tabu tours her inner world.

Free spree: She’s delighted with this ‘liberating phase’ and says, “I’m looking forward to new possibilities. Considering the work I’ve done, the stakes are not many now. I feel empowered.” Ask her if she’s got her due and she counter questions, “Is it any less that I’ve reached this far? We (referring to sister-actor Farah) never aspired to be actors. From a middle-class family in Hyderabad, life for us began and ended in our haveli. So when I’m asked if I’ve got my due, it disrespects my achievements.”

She also dismisses her elusiveness explaining, “I’m not a genie in a bottle that people have to pull out and put back again. Since the past two years, I’ve been doing up my house in Hyderabad. It’s my second love after acting.”

No regrets : The actor, who resonates poignancy in her performances, welcomes the rites of passage. “I’d never trade what I have for anything, though I wish that few things hadn’t happened. The marks left behind haven’t always been great. But it takes something bad to learn something good,” she admits.

Reviewing love: The actor who has unplugged love in a million ways scrutinises its changing seasons. “Today love doesn’t mean what it meant 10 years ago. Then it meant staying together and saying ‘I love you’ all the time.” Stating that she hasn’t been in a relationship for a while, Tabu doesn’t negate its importance either. “We’re made in pairs. You’re meant to be with the opposite sex. But love today doesn’t mean remaining constantly troubled. It doesn’t have to be as dramatic as its cinematic concept.”

Mr Right: Quiz her on whether she misses a companion and she replies, “I’m not pining for a man. It’s not that I’ve been deprived of relationships.” Confessing that it’s difficult for her to change, Tabu ends, “If he’s not helping me grow, he shouldn’t be obstructing me either. My man should be someone who’s comfortable with himself.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin