Friday, October 27, 2006

This is the first time I'm playing a courtesan, says Aish

Although the media is having a field day with the conspicuous absence of Abhishek Bachchan for the promotional appearances for Umrao Jaan, Aishwarya Rai is quick to jump to his defence. "He doesn't have free dates. He's busy shooting for his films, but director J P Dutta has already spoken with the producers of his films to give him dates to promote the film with us."

However Ash is in no mood to discuss pertinent issues involving the younger Bachchan and steers the conversation towards the film instead. "This is the first time I'm playing a courtesan and it has been an incredible journey for me," she says.

The film has been a learning experience for the actress. "It was very educational. I was revisiting a certain era of history and learning the nuances of mujras, shayaris and ghazals from those who are much so well-versed in the culture like J P saab, Shabanaji and Javedsaab. I came away enriched," says Aishwarya.

Does she feel a film depicting an unknown faded era will appeal to today's generation? "I myself belong to today's generation," says Aishwarya, "And I feel it's a wonderful way for us to remain culturally connected to our roots. It's through movies like these that we can appreciate and discover what we have."

How much did she draw from the old Umrao Jaan? "I have seen it several years ago as one of those Sunday movies we used to see on television. I remember it in terms of visuals because they were so strong and the songs and dances that were performed so beautifully by Rekhaji, but not in terms of content. I wanted to essay this character with a clean slate, so I didn't watch it again. I was totally fresh for J P Dutta's narrative and I made it very clear that I was here to deliver to his satisfaction as an actor. So there's no question of me having seen the old Umrao Jaan and making references to it."

Is she afraid of comparisons that will be drawn between Rekha and her? "I know that comparisons are already being made, especially by the media. I have played a character from the book as envisioned by J P saab. It's not the first time something has been remade. References to art or literature which are interpreted cinematographically are a creative geniuses' prerogative not a single person's perspective. But Rekhaji and I share a warm bond that goes beyond comparisons. I definitely want her to see the movie and as she has been an audience to most of my films before, I hope she watches my Umrao Jaan too," she says.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin