Sunday, October 29, 2006

Shah Rukh Khan turns 41 on Thursday

Source: DNAIndia
You’ll be 41 on November 2. How old do you feel?
In fact, I feel very young. I’m told I look young and hot in Don which makes me feel good. A couple of days ago, I watched Veer Zaara on TV, I looked really old as the buddha guy.

What are your birthday plans?
I’ll chill at home, I need to relax. The past few days have been hectic with Diwali and Eid. Also I’ve been very busy with the promotion of Don. Now that the film has done well, may be I’ll call the producer home and count the money. I think I’ll just do that.

Any particular birthday of yours that you remember fondly?
I’ve never sat down and thought about this. I don’t consider birthday to be a special day. It’s like any other day. It only brings you closer to lesser birthdays.

What’s the best birthday gift you’ve ever received?
For the past few years my friends have not given me anything. They say, “What do we give you, you’ve got everything.” But I love to receive books, I’m a book lover.

What would you gift yourself?
In an interview earlier, I’d said, “Don is my birthday gift to Amitji.” (Grins) Now, I will gift it to myself.

What’s the take on the box-office collections of Don?
I’m thrilled, the collections are fantastic. When I first watched Don, I felt it was long. But it’s a modern way of making a film. We were very clear from the beginning that the film was targeted at the youth. And it has worked with its audience. They love the film. It’s a new Don and that’s what has worked. I feel I have acted very well in Don. I say this very rarely after watching my films.

Did you anticipate a hit?
While I was making it, I thought it would be a big hit. But after watching it, I was a bit worried because I found it long. The story was a little convoluted, we were not sure if everyone would understand it. Then, a certain section of the audience didn’t appreciate it. But I repeat, the film was for the youth.

Even the songs were recorded with the youth in mind. They have loved the film and me. No one has said I was bad, even in the Khaike paan song. My final analysis about the success of my films are with my kids. If they like it, then I know it’s a hit. Last night Aryan sang Khaike paan… and danced to it. Now I know the film is a success.

Were you upset with the negative reviews?
Honestly, not too many reviewers have a critical knowledge and over the years critics have increased but the knowledge hasn’t. Some critics don’t review a film, they make personal statements. The audience isn’t swayed by what the critics write, they still go to watch a film if they want to. Krrish and Fanaa both didn’t get critical approval but the films did great business at the box-office. I respect the opinions of a few critics…even if they don’t like my films.

What irritated me was a TV channel talking about the end of the film, they even revealed the twist on its first day. You don’t do that.

There have been comparisons with Amitabh Bachchan.

I’ve done films of Dilip saab and Amitji because they are great. I can’t match up to them. Whether it’s Devdas or Don, I’ve done it my way. I’m proud of it.

It seems your fans now call you Don.
Yes. It feels good when you’re identified with a certain character.

The initial collections of Don have been attributed to your star presence.
(Laughs) That didn’t help me in Paheli. I feel the brand of Don is responsible. The promotion evoked curiosity. It was after long that I had a release which said Shah Rukh Khan in and as. The audience trusted us. I’m very thrilled with the success of the film.

How come you went all out to promote the film?
It’s my film. After a long time I had a solo release. For the past few years I’ve had only multi starrers. I cannot be in the forefront. Paheli I feel was a different take. Even with Main Hoon Naa, I felt Zayed Khan, Amrita Rao and Farah Khan should be more visible. With Don, I knew I had to just go all out and give a proper message. I’m glad I did that.

Do you feel the pressure of being the numero uno actor?
With every hit, I feel more responsible about my next release. Right now, I’m very charged about Chake De India and Om Shanti Om. I want to make lots of films. I don’t want to restrict myself to just a couple of films. Even healthwise I’m feeling great.

If you could go to a certain age which would you choose?
My son Aryan’s, so that I could play with him and not worry about my father being a superstar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin