Friday, June 20, 2008

I want to work with Akshay, says Priyanka

Priyanka Chopra gushes about Akki even as she opens up about beau Harman and her upcoming releases

Priyanka Chopra is a busy girl. Apart from shooting with Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham for Dostana at Film City, the actress is also busy promoting her upcoming release Love Story 2050. With six releases lined up over the next two years, Priyanka has no time to spare.

Here are excerpts of a conversation with Piggy Chops as she giggles (when asked her about Harman), stares (when Salman Khan is mentioned) and looks blank (when asked if she’s the highest paid actress). Read on...

How was the Miami schedule of Dostana?
I was there for two months and it was amazing fun. It was like a big family reunion. My masi, my nani and my cousins were there. For me, it was like a summer vacation. I’d shoot from 9 to 6 and then hit the gym. It was quite chilled out.

You are the only girl in the film. Comment.
There were loads of boys on the set. The only thing we ended up doing was going to the gym. Not just Abhishek and John, but the entire cast and crew. I also love going shopping, so that’s what I did. I bought shoes for myself and loads of other things for my family.

You’ve worn a swimsuit in the film?
You will have to watch the film to figure that out. If beach wear is required, then its fine by me. I believe there has to be a reason to wear something. Also you have to be comfortable. In Don, Zeenat Aman had worn it, and we did the same because it worked.

What about liplocking on screen?
I haven’t done it yet so I don’t have a take. It has to be that kiss that brings me to life or something. Nobody’s asked me to do it till now. You can’t randomly do kiss, it should be an eternal kiss.

Do you have a strategy in choosing the films?
I always maintain I only do films which I would to watch. By god’s grace, I am in a position where I can pick and choose my roles. It’s not a just a great part that matters to me. I have seen films with the best part written for actresses which have not done well because the entire package didn’t work. Eventually, it has to be the film that has to work. It could be a 20-minute part for me in the movie but if the movie works in entirety, I’ll give my heart and soul in those 20 minutes.

What’s your take on actresses charging big money?
I believe that when it comes to fees, its private and not anybody’s business. It’s my approach, I have always been involved with my work and don’t have time to follow other people’s careers. I have a three-film deal with UTV and if tomorrow something comes up to me, I will take it.

You haven’t worked with Yash Raj Films yet.
Everyone would want to work with them (Yash Raj Films), but I have done decently well without that too. It’s not about the camp you work with, but giving a string of hits and that’s what matters. For example, Akshay Kumar didn’t work with Yash Raj until recently and it didn’t affect him. He’s still one of the biggest actors in the industry. If it’s meant to be, it will be.

You don’t belong to any camp. Comment.
When you don’t come from a film line, it’s easier for you because you are treated as a professional. I come to work at 9 in the morning, and go back home at 10 in the night. When I leave the set, I disassociate myself from work. I do have friends in the industry, and there are people I get along with. But I am not here to make friends. That’s just a part and parcel of the kind of work I do. I am here to work. I never think being a part of a camp will help you succeed. You have to be able to work with everyone and make good friends.

Except Fashion, you don’t have any two-heroine project…
Well, I never realised that until you mentioned it. I think the last film I did with another female actress was Aitraaz. It’s not a part that I think about. It’s the overall project that always appeals to me.

Madhur’s film has three characters, so was that a concern?
It’s about three people and all of us have great roles. It took a long time for me to agree to do Fashion. It took a lot of time for me to figure out what I am doing in it, but I am totally convinced in the way it shaped up.

Are you happy with the way Love Story shaped up?
It’s a milestone movie for Indian films because we haven’t seen these kind of visuals, special effects in any other film till now. Whether it does well or not, it’s the destiny of the film.

Have you and Harman made a conscious effort not to talk about your relationship because of its effect on 2050?
Yes, we believe that the film is big and beyond all this. These rumours have been going on for the last three years, when the film hadn’t even started. I don’t give justifications for my private life.

Harman feels a certain section wants to sabotage 2050 by comparing him to Hrithik. Comment.
Hrithik made his own space after his first film and hopefully, Harman will do the same after his. Every actor is compared to someone or the other. Hrithik was compared to Shah Rukh, Shah Rukh was compared to Dilip Kumar, Shahid Kapur was compared to Shah Rukh. Being compared with Hrithik has its pros and cons. Pro is that you are being compared to one of the country’s biggest superstars and the con being it takes away credit of what you have done with your hard work. You are putting a newcomer on par with a superstar and that’s unfair because people will start expecting him to be in a certain way.

You and Lara started off at the same time, but you’ve raced ahead…
My mom used to quote this saying (and I believe in this) waqt se pehle aur kismat se zyada kisiko kabhi kuch nahi milta. Lara is very talented, speaks well and is someone I admire in the industry. She was very kind to me in my early phase. That’s something I’ll never forget. I don’t see a comparison because we started out together.

Katrina was voted as #1 sexiest Asian in a recent list by FHM, while you are on #8. Your reaction?
I think if I was a politician, it would mean a lot more to me. If I had given seven duds in a row or my films didn’t perform to my expectations, I would be depressed. I don’t give any importance to being on some list. It is part and parcel of the job but it isn’t the end of it.

Would you do a reality show on television?
I don’t know. Only if it’s something exciting.

Would you be a guest on Salman’s show 10 Ka Dum?
Why wouldn’t I? It’s a fun show. I haven’t seen 10 Ka Dum but I have seen the trailers and the hoardings and it looks different.

Akshay has said he’s open to work with you, do you feel the same?
I would love to work with him. Akshay Kumar has been someone I have always been fond of. A lot of what I am today has been taught to me by him. I have to give him a lot of credit for the way I treat my job and the professional that I am. I was very young when I started, so he taught me a lot about film making and the industry. But if it comes to do a film, then it has to be the entire project, I can’t do it just because of Akshay it has to be a well-rounded film. I would love to be a part of something that excites both of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin