Saturday, May 10, 2008

Akshay Kumar talks action!

Akki talks about Bangkok, his first love, his new show and about the many stunts he’s pulled off

Meeting Akshay Kumar in Bangkok is like meeting him on his home ground. He’s shooting for Rohan Sippy at his ‘second home.’ In between the shoot, he took a day off to promote Viacom 18’s new channel ‘Colors’ on which he is hosting ‘Fear Factor Khatron Ke Khiladi. Akshay is very kicked about being on the small-screen. Here he talks about being on the chota pardah, his bonding with Bangkok and his first love action. Excerpts from our chat…

You must feel quite at home in Bangkok.
Well there are many more new bridges here now than there used to be, but you have to pay ‘toll’, so nobody uses them, so traffic is still the nightmare it was. The massages are just as superb as always.

Truly, this is the most humble city in the world. The second you leave here, it’s like being whacked over the back of your head with a stick, back to civilization, mad moods, dodgy attitudes… So yes I am very fond of my second home, just wish the rest of the world was like Bangkok, then maybe even Mr Bin Laden himself might sell coconuts on the streets…

It seems a full circle. You started off as an action hero and today you are back to doing action. Do you feel as agile even today?
Are you trying to tell me my circle is over? Darling, didn’t you know I was planning an action comeback when I’m 60 as well, walking stick and all. And what makes you think I’m at the pinnacle of my career! I’m only half way around this so-called circle…. And as for my agility, my son definitely takes care of that for me.

This is your second show for TV. What made you return to it?
Well, the money is always a good factor, but honestly this time I think it’s the fact that I get to perform deadly stunts in front of 13 beautiful ladies… I mean you’ve seen it normally, the hero always has to do insane stunts chasing some ugly villain, now I finally get to impress my ladies live. So really, I think an equal amount of both, and you end up with a very happy Akshay Kumar, lots of stunts, heroines and a little piece of crispy paper with lots of little zeroes on it.

Would you have done this show ten years back on TV?
No… More people have TV now than 10 years back… What’s the point in half-killing yourself if no one’s going see you do it…

You’ve done several deadly stunts. Did you direct any?
I’d probably be dead by now if I hadn’t directed some of them. But one thing an actor should always remember is never upset your stunt co-ordinator. You never know what cable might accidentally snap when you just happen to be jumping off a 100 ft building…

What has been the toughest stunt that you’ve performed so far in your career?
Without a shadow of a doubt, it was my stunt in ‘Khiladi’ where I stood on a flying aircraft and insanely jumped onto a hot air balloon…Not only am I lucky to be alive, I’m lucky I could still have children after that one…

Does your family, especially your son enjoy watching your stunts?
Well, my mom watches my stunts intently with her eyes shut, my sister always pretends she needs to go to the loo and nothing ever phases my wife. And as for my son, he thinks I’m the human version of Tom and Jerry even though anything happens to me, he knows his Dad will always be alright. He is a mini version of me, he loves action.

Lastly, given a choice, how would you be like to be remembered?
I would like to be remembered as ‘the man who did it all’.

Umesh Jivnani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin