Thursday, April 3, 2008

Kajol holds forth on UMAH

On hubby Ajay Devgan’s birthday yesterday, Kajol spent a greater part of the day at his production office at Juhu promoting his directorial debut U Me Aur Hum (UMAH). “There won’t be time later,” she says.

“The next few days until the film’s release on April 11 will get even busier. We are waiting for the first print to arrive. Then there is the pre-release stuff,” she points out as we ask her…

What did you gift Ajay?
I haven’t, yet. I have to check what he has and what he doesn’t. It also depends on the time I have and where I can go to pick up a birthday gift. But Nysa gave him a Dear Papa birthday card and she wrote in it herself. He was extremely touched by it. His birthdays are always a strictly family affair.

So there were no celebrations?
Just a family dinner at home with his folk and mine that’s always the way. He never cuts his birthday cake it is the kids at home who do it for him.

Is there anything special you do before the film releases? Seek divine intervention?
We are extremely cosmopolitan when it comes to that. We have done the rounds of temples and gurudwaras.

How have your B-Town pals reacted to the UMAH promos?
Karan Johar SMSed to say the promos were looking good. I haven’t met Shah Rukh for a very long time now. He is busy with his IPL team and his new TV show. I have not caught up with Aamir too; I have yet to watch Taare Zameen Par. In fact, I have not seen a film for almost a year. I have a lot of things to catch up on after UMAH.

Were you the natural choice to act in UMAH?
When Ajay narrated the script to me, he said no one else but me could do justice to the role. I thought it was very sweet of him and I found the story to be fab; so it was like I’d love to be part of his directorial debut.

Having watched him as a director, do you harbour aspirations of being one yourself?
Not at all. I don’t have that passion for direction. I will never be a director not now or even at a later stage.

Have you said yes to Karan Johar’s next film with Shah Rukh Khan?
Karan spoke to me about it; it was just casual talk. I have not even heard the script so it would be unethical to say anything about this project at this stage. And anyway, Karan has now delayed the film.

Why did you refuse Rajkumar Hirani’s Idiot?
I was approached by Hirani and after the narration, I didn’t think I suited the character. He needed someone younger. That is the reason I had to say no! The buzz about me checking with Shah Rukh whether I should take on the role and SMSing him was someone’s vivid imagination at work.

Are you part of Rajkumar Santoshi’s Ramayan?
I had given my consent to play Sita. But at the moment, I have no clue what is happening to the project.

There is speculation that U Me Aur Hum is inspired by the Hollywood flick The Notebook?
I haven’t seen The Notebook but the film is not inspired by it. UMAH is based on an uncharted idea which we believed in and I have loved the entire journey.

Author: Shaheen Parkar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin