Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Aamir will carry the torch

Ever the chivalrous knight to the cause, Aamir Khan’s always gone the extra hog to speak up for movements he believes. The actor publicly spoke up against the Narmada dam for which he got a lot of flak and which finally resulted in his film Fanaa being banned in the state of Gujarat.

All for human rights
Even so, the actor hasn’t shied away from voicing his opinion on the latest controversy dogging him. In his most recent blog post, the actor comments on why he will participate in the Olympic Torch Relay despite his fans, family and well-wishers asking him not to, in view of charges of human rights violations against China.

The actor has a bone to pick with human rights violators everywhere. Aamir notes, “I have the highest respect and regard for the struggle that the people of Iraq, Kashmiri Pundits who have been displaced, Kashmiris in general, and the people of Palestine are going through. I’ve named above just a few instances of human rights violations.

Across the world, and indeed within our own country, there are several instances and examples of atrocities and human rights violations, which are still continuing. I am absolutely against any form of violence, and certainly am deeply upset whenever the basic rights of human beings are violated anywhere in the world.”

The actor takes a practical perspective on the situation. Concludes Aamir, “If we were to try and find a place to hold the Olympic Games where the government of that place has not been responsible for human rights violations (in one way or the other), I suspect that we would be left with very few options, if any at all.”

Excerpts from the Blog post
Over the last few days I have received several requests not to participate in the Olympic Torch Relay. Requests through members of my family, personal friends, people who are associated with the Tibetan struggle, and my blog. I have gone through and read each and every letter, message and post pertaining to this issue.

I would like to state that I have the highest regard and respect for the struggle that the people of Tibet are going through. I completely empathise with them.

I feel that the Olympic Games do not belong to China.

I am no one to tell any group of people how they should conduct their struggle. I am not part of it and am not going through what they are going through. But my heart goes out to them.

I request those of you who have asked me to stay away from the Olympic Torch Relay to understand that when I do run with the torch on the 17th of April it is not in support of China. In fact, it will be with a prayer in my heart for the people of Tibet, and indeed for all people across the world who are victims of human rights violations.

Bryan Durham, Mid-Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin