Monday, January 7, 2008

What it takes to be a hero?: Nikhil

The question most frequently asked of Nikhil Dwivedi, who makes his debut in My Name is Anthony Gonsalves this Friday, is: How did he ever think of getting into films?

Nikhil, who wants to be an actor, and who is your average-looking Mumbaiite, will not be deterred by every cynical moviegoer who puts this question to him. Instead, he counter-questions, “What’s the qualification for an actor? If just good looks are the benchmark, then every good-looking guy and model ought to be a superstar. When chocolate heroes were ruling, Amitabh Bachchan stood out. Likewise Mithun Chakravorty, Shah Rukh Khan and Ajay Devgan made their presence felt in Bollywood. They didn’t conform to any rules. But they dazzle on screen.” Then, with a confident smile, Nikhil adds quietly, “When I stand before the camera, I see a hero.”

People like him depend on their hard work to make inroads into Bollywood. And why not? Luck is always known to favour the brave. Nikhil has as much a chance of making it big in Bollywood as, say, good friend Shah Rukh Khan.

“It’s about being in the right place at the right time. If years ago, Armaan Kohli hadn’t walked out of Sajid Nadiadwala’s Deewana , and Salman Khan hadn’t disapproved of Baazigar , Shah Rukh Khan would not have got a chance to display his immense talent. Both these films made him popular with the audience. I believe in just working hard and leaving everything to destiny, it determines us,” Nikhil keeps reminding himself.

He plays the title role in My Name is Anthony Gonsalves which has been directed by E Niwas. In the film as well, Nikhil’s character dreams of making it big. Anthony Gonsalves’s trials mark his journey to stardom. Does he identify with the role? “I have come so far on my own, I am sure I can go further,” Nikhil smiles in reply. Is he, like, an SRK clone? “Not true,” he answers defensively, “Shah Rukh Khan’s energy and hard work is infectious. He is so cultured that it’s inspiring. I am not on backslapping terms with him. I look upto him but I worship Amitabh Bachchan.”

Painfully shy when talking about girls, Nikhil is reluctant to divulge that he is single. “I am uncomfortable talking about this,” he admits. One film old only, but does he have a favourite heroine? “Not really, but if you want to know which heroine I find talented, I would say Priyanka Chopra and Amrita Rao.”

And why would an MBA working in a corporate house want to get into Bollywood? “I was unhappy with what I was doing. I knew films were my calling. So I decided to follow my dream,” he smiles again.

Afsana Ahmed, TNN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin