Tuesday, October 24, 2006

it was an absolute honour to play Umrao, Aishwarya

‘Umrao Jaan’ is set to release next month but Aishwarya Rai is the picture of measured serenity. One reason, perhaps, is that her performance in this JP Dutta film has already been lauded by those who’ve got a chance to see it. Ash herself says it was an absolute honour to play Umrao. “I saw the earlier ‘Umrao Jaan’ when I was very young, on television. I had never imagined I’d be playing that role. God has been kind to me,” she says, looking as flawless as ever.

She’s decided not to stress herself about the inevitable comparisons that will be drawn with Rekha. “I don’t even want to think about it as a comparison. Rekhaji and I share a different kind of bond. I remember long ago, when I had just started modelling and had no intention of entering films, I was out shopping with my mum when Rekhaji saw us and stopped her car in the middle of the road. She came up to us and told my mother, ‘Amma, she’s going to be a star someday.’ It was one of the most touching experiences of my life.” Talking about Umrao, Ash says, “Rekhaji has had the chance to play a mujrewali in other films too. But for me, in the current scenario when such films are not being made, to play a role like this is something else. More so because this role is set around her character and is not a one-off mujra thing.”

However, she says playing Amiran Ada’s character in ‘Umrao Jaan’, was an emotional experience as “I am an emotional person by nature. It is a role that has such an emotional range that one is bound to get affected by the character. It would touch anyone who’s sensitive. When JP told me you are so ‘Amiran’, it was a great compliment for me. Even earlier when my directors have told me that you are so ‘Shirley’ (in ‘Josh’) and so ‘Nandini’ (in ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’), I took that as a huge compliment.”

Did playing two diverse roles in different films like ‘Umrao Jaan’ and ‘Dhoom 2’ at the same time take a toll on her? “Not really,” she laughs. “It’s the demand of the character and one has to go with it. From playing Kiranjeet Ahluwalia in ‘Provoked’ to a warrior in ‘The Last Legion’ to a courtesan in ‘Umrao Jaan’, God has been kind. I am so thankful to people for having maintained that trust in me.” But since she’s working non-stop, does she ever find time for herself? “If you ask me whether I love what I am doing, the answer would be yes. And am I yearning for some time for myself? The answer is yes again. Even if I am doing three films at a time, I have no time left for myself.

No regrets, as this is a profession I have chosen myself. Sometimes I also feel bad about those films I have to turn down because of lack of time. I often wish I could get
some more time to spend with my loved ones — but I guess that’s the desire every other person in the world has,” she signs off wistfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin